Sunday, April 24, 2011

Teaching Approaches and Methodologies - Final Reflections


By now I have experienced being the recipient of quite a few different teaching approaches and methodologies, and I have already written quite a few entries on the plusses and minuses of different ones.

I am reinforced in my conclusion that almost any methodology can work if the teacher is committed to it and the student is motivated.

I did not find any methodology that seemed particularly better than what I already generally do (!) so I guess there won't be big changes in my methodology.

But there are already changes in some of the ways I relate to students. For example:
  • When I give an assignment or a test or ask a student to perform in class, I try to be more conscious of how the student may be feeling, and am more likely to take the feeling into account. I try to offer more choice. I am more ready to change something that seems to make students uncomfortable. I am more patient with slowness and error.
  • Rather than lecture students on how they should study or practice, I rely more on the students to share what they have found useful and effective with each other. I try to give students more time to talk to each other in pairs and groups, and don't worry so much that I can't be on top of each group to make sure they are doing what I want.
  • I don't rely on high-stakes tests so much. I don't call tests "midterms" and "finals" or place so much importance on them. I try to give students several chances to show what they can do and make sure there are other ways besides single tests (portfolio, makeup test, alternate assignment) to find out if the student knows the material and has the needed skills.
  • For stressful assignments like speeches and class presentations, I try to offer alternatives to coming in front of the class. Students can videotape, or present to a small group, or present just to the teacher or even do an alternative assignment. I found that if a student can control whether or not to speak, and how long to speak, and whether to sit or stand, and so on, the student is much more likely to choose to do the assignment and do it well.
  • I try to schedule more time for student practice, and less time for teacher lecture.
All of these are things that I wanted more of as a student. They seem like obvious things, but they are easy for a teacher to forget. Too much stress and too much arbitrary control by the teacher can hurt a student's internal motivation. Finding ways to foster that inner motivation, to help students feel that they have the power to learn and succeed within themselves. are among the best things a teacher can do. I have learned this more powerfully through my experience of being a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment